Monday, May 27, 2013

Tamara {the importance of prayer as a mother}


One of the fondest memories I have of my mother is her fervent prayer life.  I knew if I woke up, and she wasn't in the kitchen, she was in her prayer closet.  Praying for hours...many of those hours for me. I can't imagine where I would be without the prayer of my mother.  I know Landon can say the same about his mother.  I'm so thankful for the example both of our mothers have been in that area to us.  

The last couple months have been discouraging for me.  I have been very tired and out of my normal routine.  I find myself waking up late, feeling awful and laying in bed waiting for the girls to wake up.  Sure, I pray....but it's in the shower, in the car, and when I'm falling asleep at night.  I pray when something doesn't go my way, when I go through a trial, when I see a request on facebook, and that my kids will behave.  Basically I pray that everything will change to make MY life easier.  


This Sunday morning, we wanted to try the early service out at our "new" church.  I was having some physical issues, but for some reason I felt God prompting me to get everyone up and ready to get to the 9:00 service.  I almost threw in the towel, but we showed up just in time for the service.  There were  guest pastors speaking in each of the services.  Pastor Kevin Harper stood up to preach, and from the beginning of his message I KNEW there was a reason we came to the early service.  He spoke on prayer.  The importance of setting aside time each day to remember WHO you are praying to and for God to change ME.  So many times, we pray for God to change circumstances when that may not be in his will. We hold on to what we think is good for our lives, instead of letting it go and allowing Him to decide and work for His good.  By the end of the service, I was so convicted about my prayer life. The last couple months I have been begging God to change my kids, my circumstances and my trials.  I haven't asked Him to change ME first....to make me more like Him.  I know that when I focus on praying for HIS will, not mine, He will give me such a peace.  This prayer will dramatically change my relationship with Landon, with my girls, and with others.  


I want to fervently pray for my children.  I cleaned out a corner of our closet, and have been challenged to make this a priority first thing in the morning, no matter how I feel or what we have going on.  To pray for them in every aspect of their life...to become who God wants them to be, not who I think they should be.  


Here are a few sources on guiding you along as you pray for your husband and children!

http://wellnurturedplantsandpillars.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/prayer-guide-for-family-and-self-printables/

http://familymatters.net/blog/2012/02/01/31-days-of-prayers-for-your-children-diy-prayer-book/

http://www.amazon.com/Praying-Scriptures-Children-Jodie-Berndt/dp/0310232163/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369658380&sr=8-1&keywords=praying+for+your+children

http://www.amazon.com/Praying-Gods-Word-Your-Husband/dp/0800720768/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369658342&sr=8-2&keywords=praying+for+your+husband






No comments:

Post a Comment