Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Cake






I got this candle on clearance at target...love it! Just thought I would share. :O)
We are just loving fall. Pumpkins, candy, cooler weather. I don't bake as often as I used to...but when I do, it is usually a dessert containing pumpkin. I have a slight obsession. This is a pumpkin pie cake recipe. My friend Jana brought this over a couple weeks ago. I tweaked it just a little bit. It is simple, easy and delicious. It tastes like pumpkin pie with streusel topping, and I am sure it would have been even better with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. This makes a lot...so prepare it for company. I won't tell if you keep half of it for yourself though. :O) Again, please excuse my picture quality. I am not a photographer and still can't find my camera charger. Sigh.

Pumpkin Pie Cake
Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter, softened
4 large eggs, divided
2 cans pumpkin (or 1 large one)
1 5 oz can of evaporated milk
1 1/4 c sugar, divided
1 t cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice ( just use cinnamon if you don't have it...or add a little nutmeg and cloves)
4 T butter, chilled
1 c toasted and chopped pecans
1/2 - 1 cup toffee pieces (optional...but SO good)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 13 x 9 pan.

Set aside 1 cup of the cake mix and put the rest in a mixing bowl. Add ONE egg and the stick of butter and mix until combined. Press the mixture into the pan, evenly and up the sides a little bit.

In the same bowl (no need to rinse!) add the pumpkin, 3 eggs, evaporated milk, ONE cup of sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low until it is combined and then beat for 2 minutes until "fluffy". Pour the mixture on top of the cake base.

Prepare the topping. Combine the reserved cake mix and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in the cold butter until combined. Using your fingers...add the nuts and toffee pieces until incorporated. Sprinkle this on top and bake for 65-75 minutes until the cake is set in the middle. ENJOY EVERY BITE.

5 comments: