Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Baked Vanilla Bean Donuts with Strawberry Frosting



I can't believe my little Brooke will be turning FIVE in just a few weeks.  Donuts are her most favorite breakfast treat.  We decided on a breakfast donut bash to celebrate, so I whipped up these yummy donuts for a mini "photo-shoot"!  They are super tasty - I'm not a huge donut fan, but these are very cake-like and the frosting is delicious. I posted a picture on instagram, and had a few requests for the recipe, so I thought I would share the recipe I used on the blog today!  Next time, I think I will make these chocolate cake donuts using the same strawberry frosting.  Yum....


Baked Vanilla Bean Donuts with Strawberry Frosting

Ingredients:

For the Donuts:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp melted butter

For the Glaze:
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla
4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp strawberry gelatin powder (or raspberry, cherry, etc.)
sprinkles

Preheat Oven to 325.

In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients until blended.  Put all the batter in a large ziploc bag and cut the corner.  Fill the donut pan 3/4 full with batter.  Bake donuts for 10-12 minutes.  I also used a mini donut pan, and I baked those for about 7-8 minutes.  I always press lightly on the donut while it's baking, and if it springs back I call it done!  :)  Remove from the pan and allow the donuts to cool before glazing.

To prepare the glaze add the milk, cream and vanilla to a saucepan over low heat.  Stir and heat until warm.  Whisk in the gelatin mix and then slowly whisk in the powdered sugar.  Remove from the heat.  ***I made 1/2 of this recipe for the glaze mix and it sufficiently covered all my little donuts!***

Dip the tops into glaze and immediately add the sprinkles.  I did a few at a time, the glaze hardens quickly and I wanted my sprinkles to stick!

Enjoy!!!  I kept mine in a ziploc container overnight, and I think they tasted better this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment